South Korean recreation studio Krafton, maker of the favored battle royale shooter PUBG, introduced Thursday that its upcoming NFT-driven metaverse recreation mission will probably be referred to as Overdare—and supplied a primary take a look at the creation-centric platform.
Beforehand referred to as Mission Migaloo, Overdare will soft-launch in December and absolutely launch someday between January and July 2024, Krafton mentioned in a press release. The corporate has created its personal blockchain, Settlus, for the sport.
Overdare seems to be a Roblox-like cellular recreation platform constructed with Epic Video games’ Unreal Engine 5 that may provide creators generative synthetic intelligence (AI) instruments to assist players craft their very own shooter video games, role-playing video games (RPGs), and motion RPGs, to call a couple of. The social recreation platform may also let customers create customized avatars and chat with one another.
The primary official teaser trailer above suggests an open-world platform that lets customers construct video games and environments utilizing AI instruments, play the big range of user-generated video games, attend digital live shows, customise their avatars, and extra.
Earlier this yr, Krafton introduced the mission as a three way partnership between the studio and Naver Z, an augmented actuality (AR) tech agency. Krafton nonetheless holds an 85% stake within the mission, whereas Naver Z holds the remaining 15%.
Overdare plans to supply gamers what it calls a “create-to-earn” recreation economic system, the place players can purchase and promote in-game digital property as NFTs. The sport will use NFTs as a result of such crypto tokens will provide “transparency and safe transactions,” based on a press release.
PUBG Builders Unveil Cosmos-Based mostly Settlus Blockchain for USDC Settlements
Krafton and Naver Z are utilizing the just lately revealed Settlus blockchain for Overdare’s economic system, which is able to enable players to earn funds in Coinbase and Circle’s U.S. dollar-backed stablecoin, USDC. Settlus will use Cosmos to facilitate USDC funds, as first introduced final week throughout a Korea Blockchain Week occasion.
The Settlus Twitter account lists it as a blockchain created by Krafton and calls it “the way forward for the creator economic system.”
In a Medium weblog put up, Krafton’s Settlus wrote that it plans to introduce an “NFT licensing system,” however didn’t elaborate on what precisely that may entail. It additionally mentioned that it’s presently working to deal with potential points with Overdare’s deliberate NFT economic system, reminiscent of doubtlessly providing elective NFTs as an alternative of compulsory ones, addressing merchandise shortage or a scarcity thereof, and addressing issues with unstable token costs that may result in “a destructive expertise” for players and creators.
It’s presently unclear whether or not Settlus may also provide its personal token at a later date. Representatives for Krafton didn’t instantly reply to Decrypt’s request for touch upon the standing of Settlus and whether or not it’s going to challenge a brand new token or completely use USDC.
Stablecoins like USDC are sometimes chosen by crypto companies and merchants as a result of their worth is much much less unstable than cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. As a substitute, stablecoins are supposed to stay pegged to the U.S. Greenback.